Sunday, September 09, 2012

What's your knit?

What kind of knitting do you like best?

Over the last six years of knitting, I've learned that I love cables, and I like lace (but not, yet, in laceweight yarn). I like ribbing, too, and eyelets and fagoting.

I don't like colorwork much yet, probably because I'm still fairly lousy at Fairisle, and I hate the twisting involved in intarsia. Mosaic is just 'ok'.

And stripes.

I hate stripes.

Now, this isn't because I hate weaving in ends. I don't. I actually find it comforting and calming, and if I really want to avoid it there are often ways to do that. But when the edge is going to show, you do not want to carry the yarn up, and sometimes even when it won't, that will add bulk in the wrong place. So you have to clip. And I think my hatred of stripes is really a hatred of being tickled, because what I don't like about stripes…

… are all those darned tickly, wiggly, iggly bits of yarn that tickle my arm and knee while I'm knitting.

Really I'm just silly.
 *keeps knitting*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Entre lac. Entre lac is cool.

I also like knitting with yarn, and making it into little diamond patterns, like squares tipped over on one corner, that wind up looking like a checkerboard or a woven fabric or something. What was that called again? Something-something lake? Lock? Enter the locket?

Oh, yeah. Entre lac.

Besides that, I mostly like knitting entre lac. You know, when I'm not knitting entre lac or something. :)

jae said...

Hmmm I think I like colors and I also like knitting lace with normal size yarn. Nice stripes.

Unknown said...

Ok, not a knitter but wanted to say hi on your secret blog! Miss Keri likes to knit as does my sister. I am the little knitless one. <3