Thursday, May 31, 2007

I'm baaack!

A few last photos... really most of the rest of the trip was relatives, and you don't want to see pictures of relatives.

Here's the kooky front entrance to the apartments where we stayed in Glenelg (near Adelaide, South Australia):

and the equally kooky plaza inside it:
Yep, random dead boats: weird.

I wish this were better, but it's my first and only view of a possum. SO CUTE. But it was night and my camera sucketh.

I got home on Monday, but I was terribly jet-lagged, and by Tuesday two good friends were in the hospital, and then on Wednesday I found out that my department for the last 21 years (I had the same boss for 21 years — almost unheard of these days) is being disbanded, chopped into small pieces and reorganized into another division of the university.

The friends are both doing better now, and I am slowly becoming more philosophical, and gradually getting back onto San Diego time. But I may be a bit slow to get back into blogging.

Here's a sulphur-crested cockatoo to ease you into a restful evening.

8 comments:

April said...

Oh welcome back, welcome back! I'm so glad you got home safe and sound. I missed you!!!

*hugs*

Jen said...

So glad you're back! It was marvelous to follow along with your adventures when you were able to blog. And I felt so special every time another postcard arrived! Thanks for thinking of me!

It seems like your trip stirred up the energies of the universe a bunch. Hope things settle out quickly for you, your friends, and your co-workers!

Laura B said...

Glad you're back!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Val and gosh I thought that possom pic was a hairy bat, thanks for straightening me out.

Earin Marybird said...

Welcome home! I hope your jet lag passes quickly but it usually takes about a week before you stop waking up at odd hours.

The possom is way cool and the cockatoo is glorious. What bad news about your work environment. Is this for certain?

FUZZARELLY said...

Welcome home! Loved the photos of the blue penguins.

Anonymous said...

"quel bumere" doesn't begin to cover how I feel about the reorg, and how I feel for Valerie and others, but into each life some change must fall, so I shall carry on.
~Eileen, a co-worker

Anonymous said...

This boogie is for real...I used to worry 'bout my future, but then I threw my caution to the wind...You know i heard that boogie rhythm...all these bad times I'm going thru...just dance!...I've got to hang out all my hangups...stuck between hell and high water...nothing left for me to do but dance!