Saturday, October 25, 2008

Thank you so much for the advice!!

Haven't gone to get the buttons nor made the loops for 'em yet, but otherwise it is assembled, blocked and done. And a lot bigger than I had anticipated, as always — I'm infamous for making 6-month size clothing that is really closer to 18-month size. But wow! I'm so happy with it! And I couldn't have done it without you.



Here's a closeup of the neckline. Knittah and ampliflyer suggested picking up the stitches and either purling back or doing ribbing as an edging. What I did was pick up 1:1 stitches with a size 2 needle, knit 1x1 ribbing for a few rows, and THEN did 4-stitch i-cord. It still curled a little but blocked out great!

Here's a closeup of the bottom edge, where I used twistle's recommendation to knit a kind of gradual zigzag of stockinette into garter. This still flipped (and as you may be able to see, I didn't do a perfect job of knitting this zigzag), but it didn't flip as much or as hard, and a good blocking fixed it. Of course when it's washed by the recipient and probably hung to dry, I don't know what will happen, but I think it'll still keep the baby warm!

Thanks again for all the help. I'll hope to have a finished piece to show you in a few more days.

5 comments:

Johanna said...

Oh, that is very pretty! Did you improvise the whole thing? I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

Hey Valerie! Rob gave me the URL to your blog ages ago and I linked to it on mine but don't check it nearly often enough. That is one beautiful finish you've got there! I haven't ventured into knitting yet as I don't have anywhere near enough time for my current hobbies as it is, but I absolutely love seeing other people's knitting and I know I'll try it eventually. Congratulations on your finish, even if it's still missing buttons!

Anonymous said...

adorable!

FUZZARELLY said...

Hey! Long time no hear. What up?

The sweater is a marvel!

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for your comments and generosity!!