Friday, October 01, 2010

Time to cut my losses?

I've been surveying some of my unfinished projects and one of them is this Mariner tunic, which I started way back when I first learned to knit, in 2006:



This sat around for a long, long time because I couldn't remember whether I'd used long-tail cast-on or Twisted German cast-on (which effectively adds a row), and I wanted the front and back to match.

I took it out to look at the other day and realized I have another problem now: this thing is not going to fit. For one thing I'm a slightly different size since I first started knitting it. It is coming out about 46" (well, the front is coming out about 23"). You've seen the vest I recently knit, which was 45" and just doesn't fit me. This is not going to fit either.

I'm rather tempted to frog it and start over. Or leaving the front intact while I knit another one, so I can actually see the difference in sizes before I have a happy little frogging session.

There's the secondary problem that this color is just a little too bright for my tastes. When I first started knitting, as is true for many of us, I was horrified at the cost of yarn, so I was buying yarn on eBay a lot. I was buying the exact same yarn each pattern called for, except that I generally bought whatever color was cheapest. I like magenta, but this is a very bright, crayon magenta.

Still, I think I'd wear it if it fit. But I think I need to knit the next size down.

Hrm.

The biggest problem may be the lack of desire to knit this project at all, right now.

2 comments:

FUZZARELLY said...

Well, if you frog it, and if it is even a little bit animal or vegetable, you could overdye it.

Earin Marybird said...

I think you are on the right track, just frog it. Make a cute baby item out of it. It's a great color for a child. I look back at the things I knit years ago (or the bags of novelty yarn - horror!) and wonder just what was I thinking. Time is precious. Knit what you love. I've never been a big fan of the word, "should". If it doesn't work move on!