Thursday, December 28, 2006

Baby, you're a star!

A starry little tutorial:
I'm swatching some Rowan All Seasons Cotton (60% cotton, 40% acrylic, machine wash) for a baby cardigan. I'm planning to do a border of Star Stitch, and have two i-cord ties in front. I'm making notes as I go so that hopefully I can post a pattern when I'm done.

In case you like the look of Star Stitch and would like to try it, here are instructions. I got the stitch originally from 365 Knitting Stitches a Year perpetual calendar, which claims copyright, but then I found it in several other web sites and stitch dictionaries, some of which claim copyright and some of which don't. I don't think you can successfully enforce copyright on such an old, well-used stitch, so I am going to tell you how to do it, in my own words, here.

Multiple of 4+1 (back and forth)
Row 1: Knit (right side)
Row 2: P1, *star, P1* to end.
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: P3, star, *P1, star* to three stitches from end, P3.

Here is how to make a star, which is worked on the wrong side of the fabric:

First, purl three stitches together, but leave them on the left-hand needle. (In this picture, it looks like I have more than one loop in the right-hand needle, but that's just because the yarn split a little. It's really one loop.)


Next, wrap your yarn around the right-hand needle, in the manner of a yarnover. You can see how I did it here. You bring the yarn back to the front, because you'll need it there.



Now, purl the same three stitches together again,




and this time, drop them from the left-hand needle.
This is how it looks when you're finished with a star stitch:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice tutorial! i think that stitch looks great with that yarn!