Friday, May 05, 2006

Secret Pal 8 Quiz Answers

This is probably going to be boring to most of you, who, sadly, are not my Secret Pal... but here goes. I'll try to make it as spicy as possible!

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

Everyone is probably pretty aware by now that my fave yarns are Sundara's! I also adore Debbie Bliss Cashmerino and Cashmerino Baby. I am not super-fond of bulky yarn (though I'm using bulky cotton for a bathmat I'm working on!), and I dislike most novelty yarn. I love sock yarn. Lorna's Laces is great. Wasn't so thrilled with the Fortissima Socka Colori.


2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?


I'm so glad you asked. Here, I'll show you!

Here are my straights. Some are in that cool plastic needle holder, and my Denise's that my sister gave me (THANKS SIS) are in their case, but most of them are rolling around on bottom because they don't fit. And what you don't see here is all the bamboo needles that I probably shouldn't have bought, that I bought because I was a beginner and I heard that's what beginners should use. But, turns out they are too slow for me. So.. I'll probably give them to someone who likes bamboo needles.


Here is my (not so) little box of accessories, including a full crochet hook case (the only empty slots are for ones I'm currently using, and I have a bunch that won't fit in here):


Here's my nifty home-made display for my circs (hanging from a wire hanger in my overstuffed garage -- you can see some stash in there! but that ain't all of it!). I'm really happy with it. The slots are all labelled and I can find stuff.

Obviously, I need more long needle holders... and more space for crochet hooks. and, ya know, to clean my garage... :-)


3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I have only been knitting for four months, but I'm cocky enough to consider myself already intermediate in many ways ;-) I'm an expert crocheter.


4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

I do. And here it is. I do use the 'priority' tags.


5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

Mm, scents. While I'm allergic to bubble bath, when choosing soap, bath oil, candles etc I tend to go for:

  • gardenia
  • tuberose
  • jasmine
  • grapefruit (pamplemousse!)

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

I have a terrible sweet tooth. I'm also allergic to milk proteins, but I like dark chocolate with soft fillings (when it has no milk or butter ingredients), gummi strawberries and grapefruit and the like, and many other candies.


7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I don't spin! I crochet, occasionally make soap or candles, and love doing "craft kits". I've done glass work (Pyrex) and ceramics. I do beadweaving and some bead stringing and enjoy making jewelry.


8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

You can see my favorite groups in my profile... and yup, I can play MP3s. I have somewhat eclectic tastes, including folk, punk, world, alternative and electronica...


9. What's your favorite color? Or — do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

GREEEEEEEEEEEN.
I don' like orange much.
I tend to wear neutrals (black/brown/khaki/white), with some dark greens, blues and magentas.


10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

Married to my long-time love Rob.
We have un gato (Laila)
and a cockatiel (Crotchet).



11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?


Well,... No. Sorry, but it's SoCal and just not too much opportunity. Well, I might wear a poncho, but I think people might laugh. Maybe at home. In bed. Yeah, that's the ticket. And don't tell Crys.


12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Right now, socks! But, ya know, I'm just getting started. Baby things, too.

13. What are you knitting right now?
CIC socks. Plus all the things at right in the WIP section.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Sure!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Well.. Inox DPNs :-) but circulars are my second choice. I like the fastest possible needles.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yep!


17. How did you learn to knit?

From a combination of the Knitting for Dummies book and various great online articles, plus some consultation of my grandma!


18. How old is your oldest UFO?

That's not funny.


19. What is your favorite holiday?

Purim and New Year's are right up there!


20. Is there anything that you collect?


barnacles...? dust?

Um. I have a lot of Modesty Blaise comics and books, but that's not really an active hot interest. I own a lot of junque, but I'm not sure it qualifies as a real collection.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I'm desperate for...

  • Wendy's new book
  • Nancy Bush's other books (I have Knitting Vintage Socks and love it)
  • Charlotte Schurch's book
I read Interweave Knits from time to time because my friend Sandi is the managing editor :-) but, nothing else yet.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

Pretty much everything, starting with proper Kitchener...

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?


Yes. Size 9C shoe. 9" around instep; 10" long; ankles 9" (measured above anklebone, not on it)


24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)


April 9.

No comments: