(Sorry. It's Talk Like a Pirate day, so I have no choice. Check out Stephanie's post on knitting like a pirate.)
I haven't picked up the hook except to fix knit stitches in ages, but my mother wanted me to finish her head covering for the synagogue. I made her a new one last year and got half-way through a lace edging, and decided it wasn't going to look good if I finished it, so I left it half done, with little picots all around. She said the picots were flipping up and annoying her, and asked me to finish it.
I couldn't even remember what hook size I'd used, so that took some fiddling, but eventually I found one that worked. I tried finishing the edging pattern I'd started, but this one had 4 picots for every pre-existing one, and it was even worse. So I tried a few things at random (most of the cap was just made up as I went along anyway) and finally settled on an edge that pulled in just a bit, in order to keep a more rounded shape that would sit nicely on her head.
There's no way to photograph this on a flat surface, and I was late, so I didn't futz with my camera for long, but you can get the basic idea.
EDITED TO ADD: this is done in cotton w/metallic bits crochet thread on a size 1.90 crochet hook.
(This post was written hours ago but it's taken dozens of retries, over hours, for me to get the photos to load. Blogger. sigh.)